[Ag-eq] Frozen

Jody W. Ianuzzi jody at thewhitehats.com
Fri Feb 4 20:53:06 UTC 2011

Hello Nella,

I have always been a German Shepherd person and I saw a friend's white
shepherd.  they have such expressive faces with their dark eyes against
their white coat.  They look like Arctic Wolves.  From a low vision point of
view it will be great to spot him against the dark floors and grass.  <GRIN>
A low vision dog.

Actually the white shepherds have an interesting story.  The whites have
always been part of the GSD breed from the first registered GSD.  Max Von
Stephanitz the founder of the breed didn't care what color the dog was , he
just cared about temporment.  then in the 1930s the nazis took over the
breed and threw Van Stephanitz out.  They also banned whites, kind of funny
considering their white supremicy ideas.  Anyway, the whites were never bred
for guard or police work they remained herding dogs and they still have that
tendency.  Then in 1967 whites were dropped from the AKC confirmation
standards for standard GSDs and the two groups the White German Shepherd
Club and the American White Shepherd Club were fromed.  The WGSD follows the
modern breed standard with the sloped back etc.  The American White Shepherd
has a traditional flat back and sound hips and broad chest.

The breeder I found trains service dogs and she has been great to work with
in finding a really nice puppy for .  She is also giving me a discount since
the puppy will work as a service dog too.

I haven't been horseback riding since last year.  I ran out of money and I
never did find a new instructor that taught real western.  It wasn't western
to put the right saddle on the horse and then talk about dressage and psting
etc. The main reason was she never got past the whole bring thing.  I have a
friend of a friend who said she know someone and will get back to me.

I will refrain from sharing our Florida weather condtions with you for fear
of getting shot.  <GRIN>

Take care,

JODY