[Ag-eq] Looms

Susan Roe dogwoodfarm at verizon.net
Thu Feb 9 20:01:14 UTC 2012

Hi Kendra,

I am on the Krafters Korner list, but not the art list.  I do and teach
basket weaving.  I taught coil basket weaving on Krafters Korner.  I also do
read baskets as well.  With looms, I use both the circular and rectangular
knitting looms which are plastic.  I have a rectangular wooden loom from the
colonial time period style that is called a knitting rake.  Somewhere around
here I have the metal pot holder loom and the frame for Native American seed
bead weaving.  I have done hoop and stick weaving which is a Native American
form of weaving.

My uncle made a set of wrapping looms for all of his sisters one year for
Christmas.  There are three looms in the set, placemat, hot pad and coaster.
The pegs are nails and after you wrap each loom in a particular pattern
around the nails for several layers thick, you tie together tightly where
all of the open thicknesses of yarn cross each other in a star pattern.
Then you cut the yarn between the nails which releases your piece from the
loom.  This also gives each item fringe all the way around.  I love it!

I would like to expand to board and frame weaving.  There is a Amish catalog
we get that has had a table top loom with home spun yarn enough to weave a
certain size pannel of cloth that I would like to get, but until I finish
setting up my craft room, I just don't have the space.

Reference organic farming, we are trying sustainable farming with the
gardens, chickens, bees and goat.  My husband has been interested in the
worms for our gardens.

Susan
dogwoodfarm at verizon.net