[Ag-eq] country girl

nfoster at extremezone.com nfoster at extremezone.com
Wed May 2 21:31:47 UTC 2012

Quoting "Jody W. Ianuzzi" <jody at thewhitehats.com>:
Jody:

Since I'm in Arizona I'm mostly concerned about shade.  I have 3, 12 by 16
stalls.  The sides are pipe fencing and the roof is metal.  There are no solid
walls, it's to hot for that here.  The floor is just dirt; I mostly use them to
seperate animals when I feed, so don't use any bedding.

I also have a 12 by 24 shade; it is just a metal roof and metal poles.  I rarely
leave them in their stalls more than a few hours at a time.  I don't think
horses were met to live in stalls, so use them as little as possible.  I don't
know what the weather conditions are there, so am not sure what would be best.
You might want to look and see what other people are doing.

My set up works well for me because my animals get along with each other.  If
they didn't it would be harder.  I have 1 horse, 1 mule 3 goats and a sheep
that all live with each other.  I do have 2 small areas to seperate the goats
and sheep when I feed.  When I feed hay only I just put it in several places
and leave everyone loose.

Good luck; I'm sure you will figure everything out.  Please let us know what you
decide.

Nella