[Ag-eq] horse training

nfoster at extremezone.com nfoster at extremezone.com
Fri Oct 5 02:58:07 UTC 2012

Michelle:

A handy stick is a training device that looks kind of like a cane, but shorter.
It also has a long string on the end, so it can be used as a whip if needed.

Clinton Anderson calls his a handy stick and Pat Parelli calls his a carrot
stick.  You can buy the same thing at most equine supply places, it will
probably be called a traning stick or something of the sort.  It will also be
cheaper than the actual handy or carrot stick!

You should not reward the horse for moving away; when their feet stop, release
the pressure.  In the beginning you may only be able to get close to the horse
with objects.  They also may allow you to touch them in some places, but not
others.  Cruiser will let me rub the plastic bag on his head, neck and
shoulders, but gets nervous when I move further back.  They also might be
better with this exercise on one side of their body.

Often I use my cane as a handy stick; I poit to gates, the stalls or if I want
them to move away.  They don't seem to notice the difference.

Nella