[Ag-eq] Catching Up

Susan Roe dogwoodfarm at verizon.net
Tue Oct 9 02:42:47 UTC 2012

Hi Jody,

Well, considering I came home from the hospital tonight (Monday night) at
6:30 after going to the emergency room Saturday morning with another onset
of blood clots in my lungs, I am doing pretty good.  We haven't gotten the
already pregnant dairy goat yet.  I'm trying to hold my husband back until
November 2013 because we don't have the milking area ready in the barn and I
want it finished before we buy the female.  Give Homer another year to get
settled with a routine of being tethered once a day for extra forage so we
don't have to cut so much for him in the winter.  Then wehn we go to put
both of them out, it might help the female if she can tell that Homer is not
skiddish along with her.

This fall, we're going to strip all of my chicken coops, checking for places
where the chickens have been scratching a bit too eagerly to get up under
their coops and for places where our farel cat population has been digging
to get under the coops from the other side.  One day, they are going to meet
in the middle underneath the coop and only one is going to come out the
victor!  LOL

We had our garden wiped out this year due to a bad storm that came the end
of June and took our power for 7 days and we could not water whatsoever and
our temps were in the low 100's.  But, luckily enough, we have a real nice
small produce stand just up the road that took up where our garden left off.
Matt purchased a half bushel peaches and Honey Crisp apples, so my sister
and I made peach preserves peach chutney and 4 quarts of dried apple slices.
We also dried two pints of banana slices.  I'm going to dry a few other
fruits and then we are going to make our own trail mix.  The end of October,
I am going to get a bushal of Pink Lady apples and we are going to do apple
chutney, more apple butter, and maybe some spiced apples as well.  Matt is
in Seattle visiting his brother and also doing some canning and pickeling
with him as well.  They tried some apple and green tomato chutney and I'm
wondering how that is going to turn out.

There is a man who lives behind us who owns a large truck farming business
and rents most of the properties he farms.  They have one of our fields,
growing tomatoes last year and winter squashes this year.  He called while I
was in the hospital to let me know he had several kinds of greens and
turnips he was starting to cut and if we wanted any just to let him know
when we wanted to come and get some.  I told him as soon as Matt came back
home he would probably be there Sunday afternoon.   They are really good
people.  They have kept our long driveway covered with gravel as parcial
payment for using one of our fields.

Gotta go for now, my own bed looks way more inviting than the hospital bed I
was in for the past two nights.  I can hear it calling, "nighty night".  LOL

Susan
dogwoodfarm at verizon.net