[Ag-eq] canning

Susan Roe dogwoodfarm at verizon.net
Sat Oct 13 10:40:03 UTC 2012

Canning Questions

1. Do you know of any foods that can't be canned with the water bath method?

Now a days they only recommend using a water bath method for asidic based
foods like pickles, vineagar based sauces like hot sauce and catchup,
straight tomatoes and fruits.  You can process soups, meats, straight
vegetables and any combination there of, but even the Ball Canning book now
only gives instructions for the pressure cooker reference those items.
Don't rule out drying for fruit and vegetables and instructions for drying
can also be found in the canning book.

2.  Also is the basic Ball Canning book in an accessable format?

I have not found it in anything other than print, but I haven't looked
either.  I have several different Ball Canning books and other food
preservation books.  I also have two sighted people living with me who can't
stay out of the books for looking up directions for one thing or another.  I
always ask my husband what is he looking for when he pulls out a stack of
cook books.  Lord knows what he'll come up with next.  LOL

3.  What are the basic supplies that I should have before starting to can?

I'm going to get my sister to pull the basic Ball Canning book and I'll
write down what they suggest and send that to you.  You will probably have a
lot of this already in your kitchen.

Susan
dogwoodfarm at verizon.net