[Ag-eq] FW: Chickens

nfoster at extremezone.com nfoster at extremezone.com
Tue Mar 5 18:36:35 UTC 2013

Jody:

Yes, it takes a pretty good fence to keep in goats.  I have chain link, which
seems to work well.  One side is only 4 feet and I know one of the little girls
can jump that high, but she won't leave her herd.  No climb fencing, and
probably hog wiring would keep them in too.  I've also heard of people using
electrical fencing to keep them in.  I think you have to run 3 or 4 wires for
it to work.  There is a good chapter on keeping goats in Barn Yard in Your
Backyard.  She goes into quite  a lot of detail on fencing.

How big is your pond?

What kind of ducks do you want to get?

Yes, Mike did the slaughtering all by himself.  I hate to admit this, but I'm
too much of a girly girl to help with that kind of thing!  He said it's not
hard, but I really don't know.  I hid in the house while it was happening!

Mike is a hunter and has experience with ducks, quail and wild turkeys.  He's
also slaughtered deer and elk.  He even raised his own pigs and did all the
slaughtering himself.  I don't even know how to cook meat; I've been a
vegetarian for over 20 years.

You can build raised beds out of most anything.  I've used land scaping timbers,
bricks and concrete blockss.  Right now I have several beds built out of old
packing crates.  I have 2 old horse watering containners that are about 4 feet
across and 2 feet deep.  I have some herbs  planted in half barrels and will
plant my peppers in them too.  I like to spend as little money as possible.  My
planters may not be pretty, but they work.  People have given me materials for
raised beds because they thought it was trash.

Nella