[Ag-eq] Chickens

nfoster at extremezone.com nfoster at extremezone.com
Tue Mar 5 19:20:29 UTC 2013

Michelle:

I really don't live on a farm.  I have a small horse property in the Phoenix
city limits.  Phoenix has very liberal laws about farm animals, especially in
the older neighborhoods.  There are places right down town where people could
keep horses if they wanted.

I live in an older neighborhood that is zoned for residential and aggriculture.
I only have half an acre.  The animals have a little over 1/4 acre and my house,
garden and trees get the rest.  The horse, mule and goats just have a sand lot,
no pasture.  I have to feed them hay year round.  I tried to find a property
with more land, but they were to expensive or to far out.  Well, nobody in
Phoenix has pasture unless they get irrigation; we are in the desert, I have to
water everything.

I'm from Arkansas and would like to move back some day.  I like green and rain.
It would be nice to have pasture for my animals and more room for trees.  A pond
or other water source would be nice too.

Like you, I worry about transportation.  I think employment would be hardest.
Maybe some day I'll figure it all out.

Nella