[Ag-eq] Book

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed Mar 6 15:02:14 UTC 2013

I recently read an interesting braille book from NLS called The Backyard
Homestead.  It covered a lot of topics we've been discussing: growing veg,
fruit, and grain, and raising everything from chickens to cows, including
ducks and goats.  It doesn't go into great depth, because it covers so much,
but it did look like enough to get started or have an idea of what would be
required for a particular project.
When discussing something like goats or ducks, it gave lists of breeds and
their main traits. For example, in talking about chickens, it would say
whether they were mainly raised for meat or eggs, how noisy they are, how
easy to handle--things like that.