[Ag-eq] FW: FW: Ponies!

nfoster at extremezone.com nfoster at extremezone.com
Mon Mar 11 11:35:19 UTC 2013

Jody:

You're much braver than me, to take on 2 youngsters!

I'm also to impatient and would want something I could ride right now.

It's good that the horses weren't abused, maybe they won't have to many fear
issues.

It is so awful that people abandon horses.  It's happened a lot around here with
the economy and so many people losing their homes.  Several horses have also
been dumped in the desert.  I guess people think they can make it on their own.
 Well, there isn't enough food or water out there and they don't make it or at
least not for very long.  Shooting would be more humane, but people just don't
think it through.

I've never heard of peanut grass; I wonder how it compares to the other grasses.
 I feed Bermuda and a Timothy, Orchard grass.  The Timothy and Orchard grass
come from Colorado and the Bermuda can grow here with enough irrigation.
Alfalfa is the most common one grown here.  I don't feed it because I think
it's to rich for my guys.  The hay prices seem to change every year.  Last year
it was more expensive and harder to get, this year hasn't been quite as bad.  I
try to buy enough to last several months.

It sounds as if Sandy will be a great person to know.  You will find that the
horse comunity is quite small and you will start knowing everyone, well that's
how it is here.

Does your husband share your love of horses and does he plan on riding?

It would be really neat to train and ride the horses together.

If I were you I would hold off on purchasing saddles.  I say this because a
friend of mine bought a 3 year old filly, who is over 6 now.  She has had to
buy 2 or 3 saddles now because the horses body has changed so much.
Unfortunately she purchased expensive saddles too.  This is a good reason to go
with the synthetic saddles.

Take care.

Nella