[Ag-eq] sheep and dogs

nfoster at extremezone.com nfoster at extremezone.com
Tue Apr 16 03:45:30 UTC 2013

How many people have dogs and live stock?

I'm asking because I'm having problems with one of my GSD chasing and attacking
my sheep.  I've had shepherds and live stock together for years and haven't had
this problem before.

I only have one sheep, who is more of a pet than anything.  I do sheer him and a
friend and I do use his wool for crafts.  I also have 5 goats, and the dog will
chase them occasionally, but he is much more interested in the sheep.  The
sheep tends to run from him and usually the goats just ignore him.

A couple of weeks ago he attacked Oliver, the sheep and Oliver was hurt pretty
bad.  He's going to be o.k. but he will have a few scars.

Today I had a dog trainer come and work with Monty, the dog, so hopefully we can
stop this problem.  Monty is an escape artist, so I'm going to have to run
another strand of electric wire to keep him in his yard.

If others have had issues with live stock and dogs I would like to know how you
managed it.

Thanks.

Nella