[Ag-eq] sheep and dogs

Jewel jewelblanch at kinect.co.nz
Tue Apr 16 07:59:32 UTC 2013

Nella!  the aversion training as delivered by an electric shock collar is, in my opinion, the only
way of changing the outlook of a dog that has worrying on his mind.
I had a  large dog, a cross mastiff/German Shepherd that attacked my calves and the one that he
targetted had to be destroyed as his injuries were so horrific.
My immediate reaction was to have the vet put the dog down when he came to do the same for Buddy's
victim, but I decided to give him a second chance, but if he blotted his copybook again, it was
finnis for him.
I did contact a rehabilitation trainer who had reeducated an Akita with the collar.  The Akita who
had taken to harrassing cattle is a much tougher dog than Buddy, and after a few lessons with the
collar in the hands of an expert his mind was changed about how much fun it was to rip cattle up and
he got to the point where he wouldn't go within koowee of them.
I explained the situation to Gary and he said that, judging from what I had said, Buddy wasn't a
hopeless case by any means.
The long and the short of it is that Gary never turned up and Buddy paid for it with his life when,
after several weeks of showing no furter interest in the calves, he broke into their paddock and
ripped them up badly, but this time, although there injuries were serious, they were skin deep
slashes, and were not fatal.
When I had the vet stitch the calves back together next day, she used 3 metres of suture thread and
the whole job took an hour and a half.
People:  townies of course:  asked whyI didn't merely rehome the dog?  a very irresponsible question
I thought, but then as livestock handlers we know the damage that a dog out for blood can do, and I
was not going to put any other animal at risk.
At that point, it was only the cattle that he had attacked,but if he had got into the sheep, the
slaughter would have been dreadful.
Buddy had shown no aggression to anything else, but I was not going to stand aside and take the
chance that he wouldn't.