[Ag-eq] New member replying was

Jewel jewelblanch at kinect.co.nz
Tue Apr 16 06:08:14 UTC 2013

Nella!  Apart from my good friend, Jody, yours is the first post I have had from this list:  what an
honour!
I have forgotten, exactly,  how many acres plus square yards there is in a hectare, but it is just a
bit over 2 acres.
I now have 10 ewes, and 2 goats.  I have also had cattle, a couple of free range pigs and a number
of free-ranging chooks!
Jody knhows all about chooks don't you Jody!
Guideon is a crossbred German Shepherd/Labradolr, but I try to forget that half of his genes are
those of the Lab, and, to his credit, he makes the forgetting of that disagreeable fact quite easy!
New Zealand is a very long country, being 1000 miles from North Cape:  that is the northernmost
point:  now who would have guessed that:  to Slope Point which is the southernmost, but it is,
likewise, very narrow:  no place being further than 200 miles from a coast.
I have been told that our land area is roughly that of California, but we are a very
lightly-populated country:  and long may it remain so:   having only the barest tick over 5 million
inhabitants:  a third of that live in the combined cities of greater Auckland.
Being so long, New Zealand encompasses several climatic zones, so we go from subtropical in the far
north to cool temperate in Southland, which is where I have lived since 1986.
I am rather embarrassed to have to admit that much of my 2 * gardens are occupied by thriving
plantations of weeds with which I am, constantly, at war;  However, I have been told, and like to
think that it is true that healthy weeds denote healthy soil, so my soil must be very healthy if one
is to use the health of the weeds as a yardstick.
For the past 3 years, I have been trying to grow vegetables hydroponically.  Many people have great
success with the  system, but I am not one of them so I have given up!