[Ag-eq] Jody's horses

nfoster at extremezone.com nfoster at extremezone.com
Tue Apr 16 23:49:08 UTC 2013

Jewel:

Yes, I've been putting his treats in paper and plastic bags, he loves oranges,
what a silly boy!

If he sees me with the bag, he does pretty good and will even let me rub it on
his face, neck and shoulders, but gets nervous when I try to rub further back
on his body.  Once a plastic bag blew into the paddock and blew behind him.  He
gave a giant both back legs kick to get rid of it.  Then he took off, snorting.
When I went to get the bag he did come up and sniff it, but was still snorting.

When I use the fly spray he's fine with his tail and hind quarters, but gets
nervous the closer I get to his head.  He's a little head shy, but has gotten
so much better.

  Before I got him he was injured in a horse trailer and the left side of his
face is parcially paralyzed.  The people I got him from started riding him
before he was completely healed and I suspect they were using a harsh bit.  He
started rearing and they were afraid and stopped riding him.  My boyfriend rode
him for a while and then we sent him to a trainer.  She says that his true
nature is to be kind, but he got hurt and started acting out of fear.  He has a
very sensetive mouth and I can only use a light, half cheek snaffle bit with
him.  He hasn't reared in over a year, but I think he would if someone pulled
on his mouth to hard.

I've learned so much from this horse; he's an amazing animal.  He's been through
so much and is still capable of love.  He's really calmed down and has gotten so
reliable under saddle.  I'm a rather timid rider and it takes me a long time to
bond with a new horse or mule.  I also have fibromyalgia and physically can't do
all the things I used to.  My joints are stiff and achy, and I'm frequently weak
and dizzy.  Cruiser seems to know when I'm having a bad day and goes slowly and
behaves himself.  When I'm feeling good he's happy to go fast and make quick
turns and such.  I think that Cruiser and I were just met to be together.

Nella