[Ag-eq] New member replying was

Jewel jewelblanch at kinect.co.nz
Wed Apr 17 00:25:30 UTC 2013

I have only 2 goats now, Heidi and Minstrel,  born in 2008.  There was a  third in that birthing,
raggamuffin, but he died.
They are crossbrebs, their dam, Sophie, having been a cross Saanen/alpine and their sire,  Pan, a
purebred Toggenburg.
Heidi is Toggenburg brown, while Minstrel is alpine black;  both have the typical swiss markings of
white knee high stockings, a white snip on the face, white ears, white stripe down the back and a
white tail.
I used to have a herd of 12 goats years ago, which I milked by hand:  fool that I was:  but,
eventually, I was able to buy a milking machine that had been adapted for dairy goats.
I froze a lot of milk that  I used over winter when the goats were dry, and at one time, I also was
able to feed 3 calves.
i first started with a goat when I was still living with my parents.  Then when I moved out on my
own, I lived in a seaside suburb of Christchurch so was unable to continue with goats until I moved
out to Belfast 7 years later.
I have had goats, continuously since then and that was 1972.
I don't have a buck so Heidi has not had kids, and as she is 4 and a half, it is abit late to start,
but I am thinking about getting another buck and perhaps a couple of does so that I can get back to
my beloved goat's milk.
Years ago, I broke my leg but I only wore a cast for 3 weeks and then a knee brace for 1 before I
was able to do all my usual jobs outside and was just using a walking stick.
I always creditted my lightning recovery:  I was 55 at the time:  to my having drunk goat's milk for
so many years prior to my fall into the Mataura River.
and now, quickly, to answer your other questions:   Your assumption that * chooks are chickents was
right on the money.
When I was able to walk well, I could get into town in quarter of an hour.
As the crow flies, I don't know just how far Gore is from the coast, but when my sister had a
cottage on the Mataura estuary, it was about an hour's drive, meaning that that would be 50 miles.
New Zealand is in the South west Pacific and holds the unique position of being the most remote
country in the world, with its nearest neighbour, apart from scattered islands being Australia, 1200
miles to the west of it.