[Ag-eq] re" a little peep into New Zealand ecology

Jewel jewelblanch at kinect.co.nz
Tue Apr 23 04:36:01 UTC 2013

Nella!  I have no specific background in ecology, but the animal kingdom and all that affects it is
one of my pet interests, so I make every effort that is available to me to learn as much about it as
possible.
Just to add a little to what I wrote the other night re Hamilton's frog and the mystery of how it
crossed the 3 kilometres of sea between the mainland and Stevens" Island, and also how does the very
lethargic Tuatara manage to grab a tasty fleet-footed frog.
Firstly:  the  frog.  It was just a natter of happenstance.
12,000 years ago, what is now Stevens" Island was part of the mainland.  One bright, calm morning,
Mrs mergatroid Froggerbolley was just getting the children's fly breakfast ready for them to eat
before they set off for froggigarten, when, suddenly, there came a rumble and a roar followed by  a
terrific shuddering of the earth, and when she looked out of the window, what had been solid land
was now very unsolid Pacific Ocean:  so the family froggerbolley and all their neighbours were
marooned, and thus it has remained to the present day.
How does the, largely,  sedentary Tuatara catch the athletic frog?  It
is true that the Tuatara would never be a threat to Mr Bolt, but, it can, when a tasty meal comes
within range, sprint 6 metres in 2 seconds, which is quite quick enough to get it a  meal!