[Ag-eq] garden, chicks, horses

Jody Ianuzzi jody at thewhitehats.com
Thu Apr 25 19:05:45 UTC 2013

Hi Nella,

Congratulations on your progress with Cruiser.

I am learning so much from Ranger.  I have often thought of how much easier
life would be if I got a fully trained horse but then I would be missing out
on learning so much.

Ranger would not let anyone get within 10 feet of him.  I have been doing
the advance retreat thing with him and when he tries to walk away I slap my
hat on my leg and say NO.  This startles him and he now feels relaxed when
coming towards me and stressed when going away from me.

Today he stepped towards me and I rubbed his forehead.  Then I backed up and
he stepped forward.  I rubbed his forehead and his neck and then I stepped
back.  I waited and he came forward again.  I rubbed his forehead, neck and
rubbed his shoulder and back.  I couldn't believe I got that far and he was
still relaxed.  I backed up again and figured I had made a major break
through and I wanted to leave him still relaxed.  I am thrilled but I do
wonder how far I could have pushed him.  Maybe next time but meanwhile I am
happy.

When he backed up or was away from me I turned my attention to Maverick and
I rubbed him all over.  He loves the attention and he really gets a lot of
praise and rubs.  I also figure Ranger is watching.

I do look forward to having a well trained horse but in the mean time I am
learning so much.

It has been hot here.  My corn squash and watermelon are doing great.  My
beans, spinach and scallions haven't come up yet or maybe they came up and
got eaten by rabbits.  I put in some tomato, pepper and eggplant plants.

JODY

JODY