[Ag-eq] garden, chicks, horses

Susan Roe dogwoodfarm at verizon.net
Thu May 2 11:34:40 UTC 2013

Jody,

My run areas only have chicken wire over the top.  We use to have netting
called flexable snow fence, but that was a big, big mistake.  When it
snowed, it collected on top and then sank down into the run.  My rhoad
island red rooster was so over protective of his hens that he refused to let
them out of the coop until we had gone in the run with brooms and pushed,
shook, jiggled all of the snow through the netting and stretched it back in
place.  Needless to say, we were the ones covered in snow because you had to
do all of this frum up under the sagging nets.  We do have a board in each
run so if there is snow or soggy ground, they won't have to dig around in it
for their scratch.  If you are in an area with lots of frequent snow, then
she might think of covering parts of her run or even placing her hen house
up off the ground about 2-1/2 feet, put fencing around three sides and the
front open to the run.

Susan
dogwoodfarm at verizon.net