[Ag-eq] Funny problem

nfoster at extremezone.com nfoster at extremezone.com
Sun May 5 20:30:32 UTC 2013

Jody:

I have this same problem sometimes; Cruiser would much rather stand beside me
looking handsome.

I point the handy stick in the direction I want him to go and tell him to walk
on.  Sometimes I have to physically point his nose in the desired direction.
Then I tap the ground behind him and tell him to walk on, if he still doesn't
move I tap his hind quarters.  I also make my body big while doing this.  If he
tries to move into me while circling I tap the ground again and make my body
big.  I may take a couple of steps toward him as well.  When I want him to come
into me I say his name and make the dog recall gesture while taking a couple of
steps backward.  Sometimes he circles a couple of times before coming into me.

I'm no pro when it comes to ground work; I mostly use my round pen as a way to
exercise Cruiser.  Ground work is something I would like to learn more about.

  There is a local woman who gives very good clinics and I have attended a
couple of them.  She's not very comfortable working with me and I have a very
hard time understanding her directions.  So much of it is visual and the
trainers don't know how to think outside of the box.  I've picked up bits and
pieces from trainers, friends and books, and use what I can.  I always worry
that I'm teaching my animals bad habits by not doing things right.

It's also important not to let horses invade your personal space; they should
keep a respectful distance.  I hate horses that are always crowding people.
Most of the time Cruiser is good, but when he gets to close I ask him to back
or move over.  I just use my thumb and apply pressure to his chest, shoulders
or hindquarters.  He will step back or to the side, away from the pressure.

It sounds like you're making a lot of progress with these guys.  Keep up the
good work.

Nella