[Ag-eq] a visit with children

nfoster at extremezone.com nfoster at extremezone.com
Wed May 15 02:29:06 UTC 2013

Jewel:

I've owned 3 different mules and found none of them to be nasty.  They tend to
be a bit more aloof than horses, but this isn't always true either.  One of my
mares was very friendly and loved attention from everyone.  My other mare and
Jack tend to be more one person animals.  Jack will not allow people he doesn't
know to walk up to him.  He's not nasty about it, he just moves away.  Once he
knows and trusts people he's very friendly.  When I have him saddled and
bridled he knows his job and is a professional.  He tends to like small
children better than adults and is more forgiving with them.

Mules are used to take tourest to the bottom of the Grand Canyon.  The canyon
mules are well trained and well behaved.  They put up with lots of people who
know nothing about riding.

Mules can be a bit more difficult to train than horses.  They are less trusting
and usually less forgiving of mistakes.  If you are patient and use natural
horsemanship training, you will have a loyal companion.  You have to earn their
trust.  I think mules have gotten a bad reputation because so many were badly
trained, which made them nasty.

To me the mules make a sound between the whinny and the bray.  Every mule I've
ever heard sounded different from a donkey.  None of my mules have been very
vocal.  Most donkeys I've been around were much more noisy.

Even though I love my horse Cruiser, I still admire a good mule.  Jack is to
arthritic to carry much weight, so he's retired now.  He was an excellant trail
animal for years and has earned his retirement.

Nella