[Ag-eq] off topic question

nfoster at extremezone.com nfoster at extremezone.com
Mon Jul 29 05:06:59 UTC 2013

I work at the Arizona Center for the Blind and one of my responsibilities is
leading the women’s independent living discussion, WILD for short.  WILD is a
peer support group to discuss anything related to women, blindness or other
disabilities.  I’m not a counselor, so I’m just a facilitator for the group.
The group decides what topics they would like to discuss; I will give them
suggestions if they can’t think of anything.  We have discussed such things as
organization techniques, women’s health issues, physical fitness and
transportation strategies.  This Wednesday we will be discussing personal
safety and the following week cooking and food preparation.

Some of the women have asked for easy recipes for people who are blind.  This
question makes me grit my teeth, since I don’t think blind people need special
recipes.  They have also asked for techniques and about special equipment for
the blind.

Now, finally for my question; do you have any suggestions that I can share with
my group?

I enjoy cooking, especially baking and use touch and smell a lot.  I’m totally
blind, so have to do everything without sight.  The only specialized equipment
I have are a talking scale, talking thermometer and a Braille timer.  The only
reason I really need the scale and thermometer are for making cheese and soap.

I believe all of the women in the group have some useable vision.  This may be
the problem for a couple of them because their vision is so limited they can’t
depend on it, but they’re not ready to stop trying to use it.

I know rehab teachers teach methods for people that are low vision, but I’m not
as familiar with them.  If any of you are low vision I hope you will share some
of your strategies.

Do any of you use specialized equipment, and if so what types?

Some of the women have expressed concerns about using the stove, oven and
handling hot dishes.  Some of them are older and have other health issues,
which may be part of the concern.  The rehab teachers I work with recommend a
certain oven mitt that is heavy and goes to the elbow.  When I’ve tried to use
these, they were way too big for my hands and I felt very clumsy and unsafe
with them.  Do any of you have a better oven mitt recommendation?

I believe all the women have a basic knowledge of cooking, but learned when they
were sighted.  Most of them are older and very fearful.  I lost my sight as a
teenager and have been doing things as a blind person for so long I’m not
always sure what advice to give.  I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.
I think there are some wonderfully independent blind women in this group and
I’m always learning from you.

Thanks.