[Ag-eq] off topic question

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Mon Jul 29 13:53:28 UTC 2013

Hi Nella.
I have a braille timer.  Like you, I judge when things are done by touch,
smell, and sometimes just by time.  I know how long it takes to cook
spaghetti or boil potatoes, and, when the time is up, I figure they're
done. Sometimes I check with a fork, and sometimes not.
I recently bought some oven mitts from the Blindmice Megamall.  They're
made of silicon, or something rubbery, and have a side textured to grip.
They're pretty thin, so it's easy to feel through them, but they also
insulate well.  My only complaint is they're pretty stiff.  Blindmice
megamall has a lot of cooking things.  Some sound useful, and others sound
gimmicky.  They also, I think, have videos called Cooking without Looking.
Before, I had a mitt I bought from QVC.  It has a gripper side, but the
rest is cloth.  I really like it, but it's getting old and holey, so had
to be replaced.

I had a nasty accident with a gas stove several years ago, so we bought an
electric stove instead.  I was making tea, and forgot to put the kettle on
the burner before I turned it on, then I reached over the burner to grab
something, and the flame caught my shirt on fire.  I got 2 fun-filled
weeks in the burn ward, and some really big scars.  It made me very
nervous of open flame.  But I get on fine with my electric stove.
Tracy