[Ag-eq] Adaptation

nfoster at extremezone.com nfoster at extremezone.com
Tue Jul 30 20:37:38 UTC 2013

Jody:

It sounds as if we are all using similar techniques.

How did you learn to cook, from your Mom, school, rehab teacher or self taught?

I learned some from my Mom and Grandmother.  My Mom isn't the best cook, but my
Grandmother was a good cook.  She could make the best biscuits in the world;
unfortunately I've never mastered biscuits like hers.

My Mom tends to over cook things too and for years I over cooked eggs because I
thought that's how they were suppose to be!  Breakfast is my least favorite
meal to prepare.  Mike is excellant with breakfast, so I leave it to him most
of the time.

I had a wonderful Home Economics instructor at the Arkansas School for the
Blind.  The best thing I learned from her was kitchen termonology, so I can
read most any recipe and understand the directions.  I also really understand
measurements, such as how many ounces are in a cup and how many teaspoons are
in a table spoon.  I didn't really cook for several years when I was younger,
but when I started again I knew how to read and follow a recipe.  Over the
years I've used more difficult recipes and they usually turn out.

Like you I tend to use larger mixing bowls.  I also like to mix everything near
the sink, so any spills will be easy to clean up.

I also like to keep my counter top as free from clutter as possible.  I like to
have plenty of room to lay out all the supplies I'll need for a recipe.  I'm
one of those people that clean as I go; I hate having a pile of dirty dishes at
the end.  Mike drives me nuts in the kitchen; he's very messy!

I've read about Christina Ha, but didn't realize she had a website.  I'll check
it out, maybe she has some tips for the rest of us.

Wouldn't it be fun if we could all get together and cook!

Nella