[Ag-eq] off topic question

Susan Roe dogwoodfarm at verizon.net
Wed Jul 31 01:10:29 UTC 2013

Hi Nella,

>From the garden to the table is one of my most favorite topics.  I am not a
vegitarian, but we have been stressing more fruits and vegetables along with
leaner cuts of meats and healthier ways of cooking ever since my sister and
I started Weight Watchers in January.

With any food preparation at home for the blind they must be comfortable
with not only the tools of the trade, but with handleing the food through
all stages of preparation.

One way to help your women be comfortable with working around a stove or
oven is to first do it without heat.  Get touchy feely with the stove from
top to bottom by trying the following.

1.  Top of the stove:
Feel all around the burners and know exactly what they feel like.  Put a pot
or frying pan on a burner first with nothing inside and see what it feels
like sitting properly on a burner.  Fill a pot halfway with water and
maneuver it around to get use to the weight sitting on the burner.  Hold the
pot handle in one hand and stir around with the other.

2.  Inside the oven:
Open the oven and feel the placement of the racks.  Practise taking empty
baking dishes and ones filled with water in and out of the stove, with and
without using oven mits.  This will let them know how it feels to get a grip
on things properly without first worrying about the oven heat and the heat
of the baking dish.

Techniques:
I have a gas oven with regular knobs.  There are 4 standard burners, but in
the center, there is a rectangular burner that fits under a griddle that can
be removed if not in use.  I can set the oven and burners myself with no
problems and I have been cooking blind for 36 years.  My mother taught me
how to cook before I lost my sight at age 15 and let me try anything in the
kitchen as long as I cleaned up my own messes.  Trust me, there were messes!
LOL

My biggest hesitation, not berrier, is taking things in an out of the hot
oven.  What I have found that works great for me is when the oven time is
done, just crack your oven door open for a minute and let some of that heat
out after you turned the stove off.  Then I open the oven all the way and
let the heat disapate a bit more.  If the oven item is big like a large
roasting pan, then I will even pull the oven rack out a bit so I am not
reaching into the hot oven where I might burn my arms on the tops, sides or
even the rack itself.  I use the regular oven mits with the rubber grips and
I have no trouble lifting the item out of the oven.

I don't use any special equipment other than a talking timer.  I have
regular scales and temp gauges, but I also have sighted people in the house.
I am going to get me a talking scales for weighing my meats and dried fruits
and nuts.

Cooking is so much fun and we really enjoy doing it together.  My husband is
the grill master and I stick to doing his prep work for the sides and all of
the veggies.

Susan
dogwoodfarm at verizon.net