[Ag-eq] Chickens

nfoster at extremezone.com nfoster at extremezone.com
Wed Jul 31 23:20:12 UTC 2013

Jody:

I keep my hens in a 15 by 30 run, so they can't free run.  I have one corner
about 6 by 12 sectioned off and I put new hens in there.  There is chain link
between them so they can see each other.  After a week or two I open the gate
and let them all together.  So far this has worked well.

In the spring I got 4 chicks and let them grow up in the small run.  When they
were four months old I let them in with the older girls.  They seem to be fine
with each other.

I've also used the smaller run to seperate hens that I thought might be sick.
Most of the time I leave it open so they can go from one area to another.  The
younger hens still prefer to roost in there.

Nella