[Ag-eq] State fair

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Sat Aug 10 15:15:05 UTC 2013

I just got back from vacation, and, while I was out in Montana, my sister
and I went to the state fair.  My favorite thing was walking through the
poultry barn, listening to all the interesting kinds of chickens.  My sister
held up my hands to show me how big the Plymouth Standard rooster was, and
admired the Buff Orpington and the beautiful Bantam roosters.
I also patted a pig, who was very interested in my dog Ben, and some
recently sheared sheep, who also were very interested in Ben.  One of the
sheep was sniffing and licking my hand, and sniffing my wool sweater, too.
I wondered if he knew it came from some of his brothers and sisters.  I also
petted a wonderful miniature horse, who sniffed me in the most dainty way,
and a pony.
We watched some of the junior showmanship competition in the cow barn, and
ate homemade ice cream, yum.  We looked at other exhibits, but there weren't
as many as there used to be.  If I lived in town, I'd have entered some of
my knitting in the crafts competition.  My mother won a few blue ribbons
with hers, and I think I would have done OK, too.
Anyway, that was our fun trip to the fair.