[Ag-eq] hand crafts [rag rugs] was Re: Tracy/Knitting

Jewel jewelblanch at kinect.co.nz
Fri Sep 27 06:57:35 UTC 2013

I made a couple of rag rugs when I was still living with my parents.  Mum got hold of some old
woollen jerseys and cut them into thin strips about 4 inches long.  The backing was a, in my case, I
believe a sugar bag, but an acre of hessian would be fine, if it is a very large rag mat that you
are wanting, but be warned, they are very heavy, or at least mine was!.
I still have the jawed needle that I used to pull the fabric through the hessian.
It is a metal spike sort of device with a wooden handle that has a jaw a little above the pointed
end that you open and shut with a knob that is situated just under your thumb as you hold the
needle.  It is here where you put your piece of fabric and then pull it through the hessian.
You have to exert quite a bit of force as the only hole is the one that you make as you pull the
fabric through.  It is a very tight fit.
If you have a sighted friend to help you, you could make pictures and patterns:  the sky's the
limit.