[Ag-eq] Carding wool

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri Sep 27 12:54:16 UTC 2013

Nella, you asked how wool gets prepared for spinning.
It has to be carded and cleaned first.  I have 2 big carding brushes, which
look like 2 big slicker brushes--big flat wire brushes.  You take a hunk of
wool, pull out the big bits of stick or whatever, spread it out a bit, and
put it on one brush, then brush it with the other brush to get the dirt and
crud out, and to make all the fibers go in the same direction.  At least,
that's what someone showed me to do.  I may be missing a step, or not doing
it well, because it takes me forever to get even a little wool ready for
spinning.  Perhaps I'm supposed to wash it first?
The wool is full of lanolin, which I guess is good for my hands, but makes
them smell funny.