[Ag-eq] guide dogs

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Thu Oct 17 12:23:47 UTC 2013

Hi Nella.
The NAGDU list, also on nfbnet, has a few owner-trainers on it.  There's
also a list for owner-trainers, I think, but I don't know where it is.  One
of the owner-trainers lives in Tucson.  She uses a wheelchair, and had
trouble finding a school that would train a dog for her, back when she
started.
Besides training her own guide dogs,  she has been working with another
blind person to train her dog. Sadly, that dog was just seriously injured by
a loose dog.
Also, Guide Dog Foundation in New York is making a bit of a specialty
training dogs for both guide and balance work.  A few of the NAGDU list
members have recently gotten dual-purpose dogs, and they seem happy.

My black lab Ben is from The Seeing Eye.  He's a city boy, excellent with
crowds and traffic. I thought a guide dog in a rural setting might not have
much to do, but Fred's post makes me re-think that.  I see that I and my dog
are the ones leading the lazy life!