[Ag-eq] Questions about Barns and Minis

nfoster at extremezone.com nfoster at extremezone.com
Tue Nov 12 08:53:23 UTC 2013

Michelle:

Sorry about Rosebud, I hope it's nothing serious.  Does she seem healthy other
than the runny poop?

As for the rest, I know it's easier said than done, but you need to stand your
ground.  Explain to your friends that the horses are yours and you need to
learn how to handle them.  You will learn by doing it yourself.  You may have
to have a difficult discussion with your friend and her feelings may get hurt,
but if she's really your friend she'll understand why this is important to you.

As for spooking, all horses do it; they are flight animals.  When I'm riding or
leading Cruiser, he's allowed to look at things, but not stare.  If his head
goes up and he starts to stare I make him move his feet.  I might circle him,
back him or have him side pass.  This engages his mind and takes his focus from
what ever is making him nervous.  If he spooks while we are riding, and he
frequently does, I do my best to stay calm.  When I stay calm, he stays calm.
He has bolted with me several times and I just tell him wo and use my reins and
body to ask him to slow.  I never use baby talk or pet him a lot; this will only
reinforce his fears, it is like praising him for the wrong behavior.

I probably would have walked the mini past the cows a few times getting a little
closer each time.  When she acted nervous I would have asked for some ground
work.  Remember you're the lead mare and it's your job to stay calm and tell
the lower ranking horses where to go; you move them, they don't move you.

I hope this helps.  I'm sorry you're having problems.  Please let us know what
the vet says about Rosebud.

Nella