[Ag-eq] Salutations/Introduction

Zach Mason zmason.northwindsfarm at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 18:57:43 UTC 2014

As far as dairy goat nutrition goes, I found sample diet tables on Cornell's
goat website, http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/goats/nutrition.html, that are
hard to read in the PDF format. I've run the file through Kurzweil 1000 and
can e-mail them to anyone on the list who wants them. Just to warn you, they
are mildly technical. A more general and lay resource can be found on the
Maryland small ruminant webpage, http://www.sheepandgoat.com/goatlinks.html,
and the University of Tennessee has a page devoted to goats,
http://animalscience.ag.utk.edu/goat/extension-goat.html.

Brown Swiss are a dairy breed of cow. They originated in Switzerland. They
are noted "officially" for docile temperaments, good feet and legs, and high
milk protein to fat ratios.

We have a mix of sheep breeds, but all are for meat purposes. The ewes are
varying percentages of Southdown, Polypay, Corriedale, Suffolk, Blue Lester
and one that is half Friesian-(to add back a little milk). We are running a
Texel ram on the flock this year and may be keeping offspring to replace the
older ewes.