[Ag-eq] Chicken Breed

Susan Roe dogwoodfarm at verizon.net
Fri Jan 24 03:30:31 UTC 2014

Here is an interesting breed I found at Murray McMurray Hatchery.  I haven't ordered any chicks from them because I had rather do it locally, but they are looking more and more interesting to me.  I think I will also send two more breed informations.  Their contact information is listed at the end.

Pioneer
Green: available. Blue: limited availability. Red: not available.

Pioneer
The Pioneer chicken is considered to be a dual purpose bird. It has one of the most unique feather color patterns we have ever seen. No two birds look alike!
The hens lay large brown eggs and the males reach market weight in around 12 weeks.

Grows faster and is heavier than the Red Range. Breast meat configuration is similar to the the Red Ranger, proportional to the dark meat, on a long keel.
Live to dressed weight yield averages 70% - approximately 5 lbs.

It has yellow skin, shanks and beak. Feather color is black, yellow, red, gold, copper, orange and white. This bird is suited for any environment.

Also called Rainbows or Dixie Rainbows in the industry.

Murray McMurray Hatchery
PO BOX 458
191 Closz Drive
Webster City, Iowa 50595