[Ag-eq] Horse Quiz answers

nfoster at extremezone.com nfoster at extremezone.com
Mon Feb 3 19:10:11 UTC 2014

Here are the answers to the horse quiz.  Sorry, I forgot to send it out last
night.

Jewl; I apologize about any of the wording.  I was lazy and just copied and
pasted these from different websites.  I made a few corrections, but totally
missed the one you mentioned.

I'm not sure I agree with the answer for number 15; I would appreciate feed
back.

Horse QUIZ

How long are mares pregnant?
a.	6 months
b.	9months
c.	13 months
d.	11 months
answer, 11 months

What are Quarter horses known for?
a.	Running long distances
b.	Being smarter than other horses
c.	The ability to run a quarter mile faster than other horses
d.	Pulling heavy wagons
answer, the ability to run a quarter mile faster than other horses

What is the oldest breed of horse to be ridden?
a.	Thoroughbred
b.	Arabian
c.	appaloosa
d.	none of the above
answer, Arabian

What Gait uses a diagonal?
a.	Trot
b.	Gallop
c.	Walk
d.	canter
answer, trot

In horse terms what are the name of a foal’s mother and father?
a.	Mom and Dad
b.	Buck and doe
c.	Dam and sire
d.	Stud and mare
answer, dam and sire

What breed of horse did the Nez Pierce Indians specifically breed for?
a.	Mustangs
b.	Paso finos
c.	Appaloosas
d.	Jutlands
answer, 	Appaloosas

What is the average weight of a horse?
a.	500 pounds
b.	750 pounds
c.	950 pounds
d.	1400 pounds
answer, 950 pounds

When measuring a horse, a hand equals?
a.	3 inches
b.	4 inches
c.	6 inches
d.	None of the above
answer, 4 inches

How many bones does a horse have?
a.	177
b.	193
c.	227
d.	205
answer, 205

When measuring the height of a horse you measure from the ground to what part of
the horse?
a.	Middle of back
b.	Root of the tail
c.	Top of head
d.	The withers or top of shoulder blades
answer, the withers or top of shoulder blade

A horse that is under 14 and one half hands is called
a.	A pony
b.	A dwarf
c.	Shetland
d.	miniature
answer, pony
??

What are dapples?
a.	A British term for a halter
b.	Sounds the horse’s stomach makes
c.	Round, colored markings on the horse’s coat
d.	A castrated male horse
answer, round colored markings on the horse's coat

Which of these is not a horse color?
a.	Chestnut
b.	Black
c.	Bay
d.	Dun
e.	Champagne
f.	Dalmatian
answer, dalmation

Which of these is not an Olympic equestrian sport?
a.	Dressage
b.	Free jumping
c.	Three-day eventing
d.	Show jumping
answer, free jumping

According to thoroughbred racing, colts and fillies are horses younger than

a.	5 years old
b.	7 years old
c.	3 years old
d.	2 years old
answer, 5 years old

I thought it was 3, but I don't know a lot about racing.  What do the rest of
you think?