[Ag-eq] heartworm prevention

Jody W Ianuzzi jody at thewhitehats.com
Mon Feb 3 20:50:34 UTC 2014

HHi Tracy,

The main ingredient of heartworm prevention is 272 MG of ivermectin.  That is what the NuHeart, Heart Guard and all the other preventatives have in them.  I got a real shock when a tube of ivermectin for a 800 pound horse costs $7.99.  Even if your dog has a positive test they treat it with the same preventative.  My neighbor just spent $210 on a test and preventative.  What a wracket!

I don't know what the main ingredient is in the drug you mentioned but you can find out online.

I like buying generic when ever possible.  We had a neighbor who was a pharmacist and I asked him about generics.  He said they come from the same manufacturer as the name brands.

When ever you hear a recall for a product they list all kinds of name brands just to show they are all from the same place.

JODY

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance!" Thomas Jefferson