[Ag-eq] A day of horrors

Jewel via Ag-eq ag-eq at nfbnet.org
Mon Jun 2 03:21:45 UTC 2014

Peter , as is becoming the usual state of affairs with a rabbit of his adventurous spirit, is safe
and well.  Sam, my honorary shepherd, caught him this morning in, what used to be and will be again,
the milking shed.
I think that, probably, he had been trying to get back to the enclosure to which he had returned
after his last walk-about, but all the gates were closed.
When Sam caught and delivered him back into my care, such as it is, we talked for a while at the
front door and, when Sam left, I took Peter through the house, which, to him, must have stunk of
dog, a stench that was to be avoided at all costs, and then, compounded to phat, I attached his
collar chain to the place in the living-room, which must have been even more redolent of the feared
smell as it is where I tie Guideon up when there is food that can be snatched;  however, he may not
have been as stressed as I thought he might have been because he eat a cauliflower stalk that Pearl,
my homehilp put on the hearth in front of him.
Now, coming to the death of Heidi.  Today, being a public holiday, Queen's Birthday, the fecal
matter that Joel, the vet, collected will not be sent to the lab for culturing until tomorrow, and
we will not expect the results before Friday, at the earliest.
Joel is,fairly sure that Minstrel and Heidi's  killer was salmonella.
Apparently, it has been, particularly, prevalent in the Gore area for the past 2 years, and the
danger times for it to strike are between the months of January and June, so that, certainly, ties
in with the sudden death of the goats.
It, really, is just about impossible to spot as the animal, usually sheep or goats, looks,
perfectly, well but is dead within 24 hours.  It's only manifestation, and one that is not a
manifestation at all and is readily misread,  is the the animal looks a little puffed out which can,
and usually, does mean that it has had a good day's grazing.  It strikes, mostly but not
exclusively,  animals that are in good condition rather than those that are not!
The next thing is, and you have to be johnny-on-the-spot to be aware of it is that the animal will
start to have diarrhea/scour.  This scouring may contain minute portions of gut tissue.
If detected in time, a hefty dose of penicillin may stop the advance of the condition, but, on the
other hand, it may not.
Joel said that Heidi's temperature was well down, but here is the interesting fact, when I found her
dead, and she must have died a very short time before I went out to the barn to give her another
drink of dexalite, I found that her nose and tongue that had been very cold were back to normal.
Joel's explanation of this phenomenon was that it is rather like what the human body does to protect
itself against hyperthermia;  warm blood is drawn away from the extremities and reserved for
supporting the brain and internal organs, but when death is near, that warm blood flows back to the
nose, ears and   feet, thus they return to near normal temperatures.

Salmonella is a condition for which there is a vaccine, and, indeed, Heidi and Minstrel had been
vaccinated against it when they were kids, but, from the evidence, it needs to be boosted every few
years.

       Jewel
from