[Ag-eq] Turnips

Susan Roe dogwoodfarm at verizon.net
Sat Aug 16 02:36:19 UTC 2014

Tracy,

For your turnips to be watery and your greens having lack of flavor, you
probably cooked them too long.  Try roasting your turnips in a 425 degrees
oven for about 25/30 minutes.  Scrub them or peel them with a potato peeler,
cut them into bite size chunks, drizzel them with oil and toss them with
your favorite mixed seasonings such as grilling, mrs. dash or something like
Italian.  They are really great mixed with any other root vegetable such as
potato, sweet potato, carrots, onions, rutabaga and parsnips.

For your greens, put a pot of water on to boil with a bullion cube.  Wash
greens in coldwater and remove stems if they feel tuff, stack leaves on a
cutting board and run your knife through them a few times.  Toss your greens
in the boiling water and check them at about 10 minutes to sute your taste.
skoop them out or drain through a caulinder.  We like them with a splash of
vinegar, a bit of butter and diced raw onions on top.

Susan
dogwoodfarm at verizon.net