[Ag-eq] Update on the Job Hunt

Zach Mason zmason.northwindsfarm at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 22:00:22 UTC 2015

Hi Daniele,

I am very interested to help people with disabilities finding employment in
agriculture. Currently, only 35,000 qualified applicants apply for 65,000
openings per year. The statistics on the demand for unskilled labor is
unpublished, but the trend is definitely greater demand than supply.

I have been blind since age four, grew up on a 110 cow family dairy farm,
have a bachelor degree in animal science from Cornell University, and am
pursuing a career in dairy science. After graduating from Cornell, I began
working for my family farm as Assistant Shepherd and Young Stock Manager. In
2013 I completed a fellowship at Purdue University working in a swine
nutrition lab. I am also very active in the New Hampshire Young Farmers and
Rancher Program, and 4-H.

This summer I am a policy intern for the National Association of State
Departments of Agriculture in Arlington, VA, and will be beginning my
masters in Animal Dairy Science at Mississippi State this August.

Let me know if I can be of assistance to you finding employment.

Kind regards,

Zac