[Ag-eq] need to vent

Jewel jewelblanch at kinect.co.nz
Thu Jul 16 10:47:34 UTC 2015

Some parts of New Zealand are having a very cold winter and it is reaching into northern climes
which are, usually, frost free.
As for Gore, we are having a perfect winter:  we have had cold of course, but not to any excessive
degree:  I don't think that the night temperature has gone below minus 4 degrees celsius, and to
many of you in Canada and the States, you wouldn't even zip up your jackets for a piddling little 4
below now would you? and we have had, relatively, little rain!
I was very worrried about my sheep as they will not eat the hay I put out for them in the hayracks,
but I had the farmer here from whom I bought the hay and he told me that there is still quite a lot
of grass up on the floodbank, and I have found that sheep won't eat hay as long as there is a little
bit of grass to nibble.  I am on his direct route from his farm and town and, either he or
Bernadette, his wife, go past my gate a lot, and he said that the sheep look well enough.
I was visualising myself being hauled off to court having been charged with animal neglect, but
Alistair assured me that there was no chance of that, and once I can get them all in and crutch and
drench those that need it, the ones that are in poorer condition should pick up quickly.
When I got my hands on Rambo, my 2 year old pet wether and his long-tailed friend, I found that they
were in, for this lean time of year, quite good condition.