[Ag-eq] dairy cows

Zach Mason zmason.northwindsfarm at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 17:10:52 UTC 2015

Granted fat composition is going to vary between breeds, but Jersey cow milk
is as rich- actually contains more fat than the major dairy breeds of goats
(Alpine and Saanan). Sheep are king of components, but have the same problem
as goats in that their fat globule is small and doesn't separate as quickly.
Jersey cows have a large globule size and as a result, their fat will
separate faster than not only goats and sheep, but also other breeds of
dairy cow.

I think it depends on the goats and cows you are putting together, how well
they will co-exist. A skiddish Nubian isn't going to bother a 1400 Lb boss
Holstein, but I've seen brazen Lamanchas cour 500 Lb heifers. Horns also
matter. There's a funny you-tube video of a horned buck K.O.ing a bull.

For small scale dairy equipment you might like to check out Bob-White
Systems, http://bobwhitesystems.com/.

Zac