[Ag-eq] Garden

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Sat Apr 22 16:08:15 UTC 2017

Hi Nella.
You're way ahead of us.  It's still dropping down around 45 at night here.
It will be a while until I put out any tomatoes.  Which is good, since I was
late planting my seeds.

Why not leave the apple blossoms for yourself and the bees to enjoy, then
pick off the tiny apples?  But me, I'm not so good at that; I'm apt to leave
one or two to get an apple.

Figs can be slow starters, so don't worry too much yet.  Mine just has tiny
buds, so far.  I'm worried about my hydrangea.  For the 2nd year in a row,
we had a cold snap after it was starting to leaf out, and it doesn't look
good. Next year, I should cover it, if a cold snap is predicted late.

What to do with rhubarb?  Tarts (or pie), cake, muffins, and rhubarb sauce,
that some people call compote.  Rhubarb is like cranberry in many ways.  I
love things that are sweet and sour.