[Ag-eq] Peas

dogwood farm dogwoodfarm62 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 23:06:05 UTC 2018

Growing up in Virginia and being here all my life, black eyed peas
were definitely a staple in my Dad's garden.  Dave's description of
earthy is spot on and if you stew them down, their texture is grainy
or mealy, just like the navy bean, although the navy bean can be a bit
more creamier.

We always have to have black eyed peas on New Years Day, but not with
hog jowls.  Cabbage or greens for paper money, sliced carrots for gold
coins and black eyed peas for copper pennies.

Our hoppin John has black eyed peas, rice and sausage and if my
husband has his way, there will be tomatoes in it as well.  Whether or
not that is how I started cooking the dish.

Susan
dogwoodfarm62 at gmail.com  in it