[Ag-eq] [GP] Honey locusts

Jewel jewelblanch at kinect.co.nz
Thu Aug 30 06:38:11 UTC 2018

    The little sapplings are here, but, although the weather is very springlike, to be certain that they won't get nipped by a late frost, I will keep them in the greenhouse until November.
They arrived sans any labels or such that would have information as to the variety, so I got in touch with the nursery and was told that they were Gleditsia Triacanthos:  "OH  REALLY!"  however Google was able to make all clear and it turns out that G Triacanthos is the common thornless Sunburst.
upon  further investigation , I was told that, when fully grown, it has a  spread of 49 feet.
If they think:  do trees think?  that I am gunna plant them 50 feet apart, they had better think again because it ain't gunna happen!  They will just have to accept that their branches are gunna get all palsy-walsy with those of the neighbours:  concentrated community-living I guess you would call it!
In Elizabeth's letter that I have left here, she mentions the Javelina, an American indigenous animal that I had never heard of until Chet mentioned it in one of Spencer Quinn books about the Little Detective Agency.
Another native animal that one never hears of is the Fisher:  sorry, not sure of the spelling: cat.  Is the Fisher Cat synonymous with the bear cat.  Why bear cat?  Is it a bear that looks like a cat or a cat that looks like a bear, or neither?
They must be quite ferrocious as, when I was on the Newfoundland Dog Lovers list, one winter a newf disappeared and it was assumed that he had run foul of a fisher cat.
As it happened, tragically, he was found next spring, having fallen into a ground level swimming pool and because of the ice, the dog was unable to climb out.          Jewel