[Ag-eq] Blind Dogs

Jewel jewelblanch at kinect.co.nz
Fri Sep 28 03:32:53 UTC 2018

            I     was looking through one of my Windows Live Mail saved messages folders and I came across this  old letter on "blind dogs:  and it fits in, nicely, with something that I was going to write about:  This time, podcasts:  again, while looking through my list of my Radio NZ "Country Life" podcasts,:  this one was on the government's decision that thousands of cows and calves were to be slaughtered if they were carrying antibodes to the, recently, introduced cattle disease of Micra Bovis.
The dairy farmer  who was being interviewed on this heartbreaking situation showed the reporter a blind cow who had been born blind, but the farmer had not killed her because she demonstrated that she was, perfectly, able to get about by, simply, following another cow by keeping her nose in contact with her guide's tail.  Did she sntach her nose back when the inevitable happened?  Hank didn't say nor did he if it was a particular cow that the blind one followed or just any tail that was handy!
The "blind dogs" story talks about blind guide dogs carrying canes in their mouths.  Now Guideon is not blind, but he is a whizz at carrying a cane in his mouth as one of his, daily, jobs is to bring me the one that I have put down and then cannot find the wretched thing!

          Jewel