[Ag-eq] Notes from the BlanchRanch

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed Nov 28 12:20:25 UTC 2018

Wow Jewel, very cool!
Around here, blackbirds do not have an interesting song.  It's the
mockingbirds that go all out, night and day.  I love them.
And how interesting, that your bird friend follows you around the farm!

I went to a lecture about owls last week.  The presenter brought several
owls with her.  She is a bird rehabilitator, meaning she cares for injured
birds.  She releases the ones she can back into the wild, and takes care of
those who are too badly injured to survive on their own.  She has a great
horned owl who was apparently raised from a chick by humans, and doesn't
realize humans aren't owls.  It has decided she is its mate, and hooted a
lot to let us other owl/humans know she was his, so don't mess with her!
She says he gives her lovely mating presents, like a rat butt, and they have
long, hooting conversations.  He's whole and healthy, but he can't live in
the wild, because he will attack owl/humans who get into his territory.
It was very interesting.