[Ag-eq] Chicken-sexing!!!

Jewel jewelblanch at kinect.co.nz
Tue Jan 8 02:42:28 UTC 2019

I was listening to "The Chase:  UK" yesterday, and one of the contestants was a "chicken sexer".
Now, he had been sexing , so-called, day-old chicks for 4 years at a rate of
3,000 an hour:  I wonder that he hadn't gone, completely, bananas  with the absolute boredom of his
employment, but be that as it may:  a phrase that means nothing as far as I can make out, but one
that I use quite often:  here is my question if question it is:  .
I remember hearing, absolute yonks upon yohnks ago, that there was a difference in the shape of the
shell, dependent on the sex of its inmate.
Not for the first time, this morning, when unpacking my grocery order:  of which one of the items
was a dozen eggs:  I noticed that the shape varied to quite a degree.
I cannot remember which shape denoted a female or a male:  remember that my hearing of this
piece of invaluable information was from yonks upon yonks ago: the majority of the dozen had the
usual rounded bottom: is that where the air bubble is?  but this one was, almost, pointed!
one is advised to store the eggs with the air bubble on the top, or should it be on the bottom.  Why
not resolve all these "thou should and thou should not"strictures by storing the eggs on their
sides?
And having written all the above, I, now, realise that eggs coming from a commercial battery  farm
would have neithe a male or a female occupant, as none of the eggs would have been fertilised!!!
This could not be guaranteed if the hens had the freedom to wander around in paddocks because there
are, no doubt, domestic roosters that have escaped and who have been lucky enough to avoid being
shot and served up as chicken deliceuse, and are living the lives of their long-past ancestors!