[Ag-eq] cleaning horses hooves

dogwood farm dogwoodfarm62 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 15:21:33 UTC 2019

Hi Daniella,

My name is Susan and I have delt with horses before and after sight
loss.  There is no special technique for teaching a blind person to
groom a horse.  The best way is for someone to show you exactly what
the hoof feels like before, during and after the hoof has been picked
clean.  When a hoof is clean, the shape of the frog is very easy to
feel.  It looks like a raised triangle with the flat side on the
bottom and the point facing upwards towards the front of the hoof.
Like Michelle was explaining, there is an indented groove on the left
and right side of the frog and there is where you want to focus your
hoof pick, removing dirt and manure that has been packed hard in those
grooves.

Susan
dogwoodfarm62 at gmail.com