[AG-EQ] Book about draft horses up on Bookshare

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Thu Jul 11 13:25:57 UTC 2019

I just proofread a book about draft horses for Bookshare, and now it's part
of the collection.  It's called Draft Horses Today.  It was written in the
'90's, so may not be real current, but I found it very interesting.  The
author goes through the various breeds of draft horses, and then has
chapters describing how people are using them for work and play.  One person
has a bunch of crosses between a Belgian draft horse and a pony.  He calls
them Bel-onies.  I think that's very funny.  He uses them as carriage
horses.

The author also talks about draft mules, and the difference between horses
and mules.  He says you can bully a horse into doing something, but you
can't bully a mule.  A mule won't do something it doesn't want to do or it
doesn't understand, and that's why they're great for dangerous work, like
taking tourists down into the Grand Canyon.  He also says that mules only
work with people who like them, and they can always tell.  He says horses
want a leader, but a mule wants a partner.

I really enjoyed working on the book, and it's not real long, either.