[AG-EQ] Figs

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Tue Sep 3 13:33:12 UTC 2019

Wow, a baobab, or maybe a banyan, growing in my own backyard!  Sounds so exotic!
Daniella, a fig is a fruit about the size and shape of a small egg, but with a rough skin.  I put the whole fruit in my mouth, nip off the stem, and eat the rest.  They taste like fruity honey to me.  The trick is to pick one at exactly the right time.  The slightly green ones aren't as sweet, and, if they get too ripe, they just drop off the tree onto the ground.  They're a soft fruit, so they don't store well, except dried.  Mine never make it that far.  Maybe someday, if I get a bigger harvest, but, for now, I just gobble them up straightaway.
I never had a fig either until I moved to New York.  It's just warm enough to grow them here, with protection during the winter.  I think the Italian immigrants loved them and started planting them where they could.
Protecting them over winter is a bit of a chore, but, for me, the fruit is worth the trouble.