[AG-EQ] Garden carts

Jewel jewelblanch at kinect.co.nz
Tue Feb 18 01:41:58 UTC 2020

Taking you back a year or more, you may remember that, firstly, Petrus and then I bought JobMate
garden carts.  However, it was some time before Petrus had his assembled while I had bought one,
already assembled from Mitre10.
It is rare, in the extreme, that I buy something and then do not have to correct everything that the
original manufacturer/designer had overlooked, so I will refresh your memories by giving you some
examples.
Firstly, the 4-wheeled garden cart, which, if left on a slope, had a tendency to take off downhill,
so I had a friend add a brake to it which consisted of a disused long bolt welded to a length of
chain that was, permanently, attach to the cart:  that is:  short length of chain, not bolt, and to
brake the cart, the bolt was pushed through a hole that had been drilled in the hub of one of the
rear wheels and then restede on part of the steel frame that supported the plastic body.  If the
cart moved, the bolt would slide forward until it came up against part of the supporting framework
and could go no further, thus I had a very efficient braking system.
My second adaptation was to a heavy digging spade.  Pressing the spade into stony, root-filled
conpacted clay did no favour to one's  footwear, so I had the same friend, with his home workshop
welder attach a length of round pipe to the top edge of the spade blade, and a similar digging fork
was useless as the end of the tines were squared off rather than being pointed.  I could have had
Sam simply grind them down, but I was sure that there must be digging forks that had pointed tines
that would penetrate the type of soil I mentioned above, and so there was, so a simple "return and
replace" fixed that problem.
I have now added to or I should say:  have had added to my fleet of garden carts:  an absolute
monster which is dedeicated to the shifting of garden refuse and rubbish but  I have little doubt
that it could also be called upon to move one of today's tiny houses, or, at a pinch, could,
actually be used as a tiny house.
It is a 3 wheeler and was, originally, intended, or so I believe, to be attached to a quad bike or
ride-on mower, but it can be moved by hand quite easily.