[AG-EQ] Feeding Wild Birds & Homemade Suet

dogwood farm dogwoodfarm62 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 13:03:09 UTC 2020

Feeding Wild Birds & Homemade Suet
from:  Bramblewood Farm

feeding wild birdsWe enjoy feeding wild birds all year long and
fortunately, we have a

window seat overlooking a protected nook that’s perfect for observing
them from the inside.

It’s particularly helpful to feed them during the colder months when
there are fewer seeds

and berries available for the wild birds.

What To Feed Wild Birds:
Each species of bird has different seed preferences, so the type of
seed offered can be

customized to attract specific birds:

Cracked corn – cardinals, doves, grosbeaks, sparrows
Black Oil Sunflower or Sunflower – many birds
Peanuts – blue jays, nuthatches, titmice, woodpeckers, wrens
Thistle – finches
Safflower – cardinals, chickadees, grosbeaks, nuthatches
White Millet – cardinals, doves, juncos, towhees, sparrows

For feeders, we look for sturdy models that are easy to fill and clean
(and that are

designed for dispensing the type of seed we’re planning on feeding).
We’ve found that models

from Audubon and Droll Yankee have worked well for us – they sometimes
seem a bit pricier

than other brands but they’ve lasted for years.

Addition to seed, suet is an important food for bird species that
depend on insects for

food, such as woodpeckers. The suet supplies carbohydrates and energy
they need to survive

the cold weather. Here’s the recipe we make each year for the suet feeder:

Peanut Butter Suet
Ingredients:
1 cup crunchy peanut butter
2 cups "quick cook" oatmeal
2 cups cornmeal
1-1/2 cups lard
1 cup white flour
1/3 cup sugar

Instructions:
1. Melt the peanut butter and lard together in a pan over low heat,
then mix in the

remaining ingredients (while still on low heat).

2. Press the mixture into a square or rectangular cake pan so that the
mix is about 1 inch

thick (or the thickness of your suet feeder.

3. Freeze for an hour, and then cut into squares that will fit your feeder.

Recipe Notes:
Store extra suet squares in the freezer (separated by wax paper) until
ready to use.

We also enjoy observing bluebirds on the farm, but have never been
very successful at

attracting them to the feeders. That’s because we fill our feeders
with seed. If you want to

attract bluebirds to your feeders, it’s generally necessary to stock
the feeders with

currants, raisins, or other bits of dried fruit

Of course, you’ll likely attract other critters to your feeders and it
can be a battle to

keep feeding just the wild birds.

Feeding wild birds the type of seed they prefer is an easy way to
bring whatever species of

bird you enjoy observing into your yard. They’re colorful, beautiful,
and we can spend hours

watching their antics!

Susan
dogwoodfarm62 at gmail.com